Peter Dougherty Society Corporate Affairs

The Peter Dougherty Society is a Michigan not-for-profit corporation, with articles of incorporation and bylaws which are supposed to govern its operations. It is also subject to the law and regulations applicable to Internal Revenue Code 501(c)(3).The Articles of Incorporation are set forth below, followed by the minutes of the current year:

ARTICLES OF INCORPORATION

PETER DOUGHERTY SOCIETY

Pursuant to the provisions of Act 162, Public Acts of 1982, the undersigned corporation executes the following
Articles:
ARTICLE I
The name is the Peter Dougherty Society.
ARTICLE II
The purposes for which the Corporation is organized are:

(a) To operate exclusively for the purposes set forth in Section 50l(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, as amended (the “Code”), including for purposes such as the making of distributions to organizations that qualify as exempt organizations under Code Section 50l(c)(3).

(b) To receive and administer funds, to acquire, to own, to invest, to dispose of, and to deal with real and personal property and interests, and to apply gifts, grants, contributions, bequests and devises, and the income and proceeds, in furtherance of the purposes of the Corporation, with all the powers co11:fe1Ted on it by the provisions of the Michigan Nonprofit Corporation Act (the “Act”) and by the Articles of Incorporation and the bylaws of the Corporation.

(c) The Peter Doughe1iy Society is organized to provide leadership in preserving and restoring the Doughe1iy Historic Home Site to create a significant historical, educational and cultural center concentrating on the occupancy and activities surrounding the Home from 1842 under approximately 1910. The Peter Doughe1iy Society will provide this leadership through the solicitation received in administration of funds for charitable educational or scientific purposes described in Section 501(C)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.

ARTICLE III

The Peter Dougherty Society will be funded by contributions, and is organized exclusively for the purpose of soliciting, receiving and administering funds and contributions for charitable education or scientific purposes as described within Section 501(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future federal tax code.

ARTICLE IV

(a) Notwithstanding any other provisions of these Articles, the Corporation may not carry on other activities not permitted to be carried on by a corporation exempt from federal income tax under Code Section 501(c)(3), or by a corporation, contributions to which are deductible under Code Section 170(c)(2).

(b) No part of the net earnings of the Corporation may inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to, its directors, officers or other private persons, except that the Corporation is authorized to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments in furtherance of the purposes set forth in Article II.

(c) No substantial part of the activities of the Corporation may be the carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation (except as provided in Code Section 501(h)) and the Corporation may not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office.
ARTICLE V

In the event of dissolution of the Corporation, the Board of Directors may distribute the assets of the Corporation as follows:

(a) All liabilities of the Corporation must be paid or adequate provisions be made for payment;

(b) All of the Corporation’s remaining assets, real and personal, must be distributed to a non-­ profit corporation chosen by the Peter Dougherty Society in its bylaws or an amendment to these Articles, or its successor if its successor qualifies as an exempt organization under Code Section 501(c)(3). If the organization or its successor does not qualify, then the Corporation’s remaining assets must be distributed to charitable organizations qualified as tax-exempt under Code Section 501(c)(3) as the Board of Directors may determine. Any assets not so disposed of, for whatever reason, must be disposed of by order of the Circuit Court for the County of Grand Traverse, Michigan, to organization or organizations as the court may determine, which are organized and operated exclusively for charitable purposes.

ARTICLE VI

To the full extent permitted by law, no volunteer director or volunteer officer of the Corporation will be personally liable to the Corporation or its members for damages for breach of the director’s or officer’s fiduciary duty.

To the full extent permitted by law, the Corporation assumes all liability to any person other than the Corporation or its members for all acts or omissions of a volunteer director or volunteer officer.

The Bylaws of the Peter Dougherty Society are as follows:

RESOLUTION OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE PETER DOUGHERTY SOCIETY TO ADOPT BYLAWS

IT IS HEREBY RESOLVED that the Peter Dougherty Society adopts the Bylaws of the Peter Dougherty Society, a Michigan Non-Profit Corporation, attached to this Resolution and said bylaws shall hereinafter be known as the “Peter Doughe1iy Society Bylaws”. The Bylaws are adopted effective November 30, 2006, by unani1nous vote of the following directors.

Robert Dean, President and Director
Robert Manigold, Vice-President and Director Joan Bom1ey, Secretary and Director
Willian Cole, Treasurer and Director
Thomas Maguire, Director
Gretchen Soutear, Director
This Resolution was adopted in 2007.
BYLAWS

ARTICLE 1. Offices

1.1. Registered Office. The registered office of the Corporation will be 18459 Mission Road, Traverse City, Michigan, or at such other location as the Board of Directors may determine from time to time.

1.2. Other Offices. The Corporation may have other offices as the Board of Directors may determine from time to time.

ARTICLE 2. Board of Directors

2.1. Functions. The Corporation is a nonprofit directorship corporation, as defined in the Act. Except as specifically provided in the Corporation’s Articles of Incorporation or these bylaws, all rights, powers, duties and responsibilities related to the management and control of the Corporation’s property, activities and affairs are vested in the Board of Directors. In addition to the power and authority expressly conferred on it by these bylaws and the Articles of incorporation, the Board of Directors may take any lawful action on behalf of the Corporation which is not by law or by the Articles of incorporation or by these bylaws required to be taken by some other party.

2.2. Number and Tenn. The Board of Directors will consist of not less than seven directors who will be elected or appointed at each annual meeting. in addition, honorary directors may be appointed in accordance with Section 2.3. The Incorporators will make recommendations to the Peninsula Township Board of Trustees for individuals to serve upon the initial Board of Directors and the Peninsula Township Board of Trustees shall appoint the initial Board. Each member of the Board of Directors shall serve for three (3) year terms unless and until he/she submits a letter of resignation, is removed or becomes incapacitated. Any vacancy in the Board of Directors will be filled by a majority vote of the Board of Directors. It is anticipated that the initial Board of Directors will be appointed on a staggered term basis so that not each member of the Board of Directors’ term expires on the same date. For instance, of the initial seven members of the Board of Directors it is anticipated, but not required, that two members will be appointed for an initial term of one year, two members appointed for an initial term of two years, three members appointed for an initial term of three years.

2.3. Honorary Directors. The Board of Directors may select honorary directors as appropriate in recognition of outstanding cont1ibution to the community and commitment to the purposes of the Corporation, or in recognition of an individual’s special talents which could be drawn on from time to time by the Corporation. Honorary directors will not have voting privileges.

2.4. Removal. The Board of Directors may remove any director, with or without cause, whenever believed to be in the best interest of the Corporation.

2.5. Vacancies. Any vacancies occurring in the Board of Directors for any reason may, but need not, are filled by the Board of Directors. Any person appointed to fill a vacancy will serve for the unexpired portion of the term.

2.6. Meetings.

2.6.1. Annual meetings of the Board of Directors will be held within three months of the close of the fiscal year of the Corporation, on a date and at a place and time as the Board of Directors determine for the election of officers and for the transaction of any other business which may come before such meeting.

2.6.2. In addition to the annual meeting, regular meetings will be held in accordance with a schedule at such times and places as the Board of Directors determines.

2.6.3. Special meetings of the Board of Directors may be called by the Secretary of the Corporation on the request of the President or not less than one-third of the directors.

2.6.4. Meetings of the Board of Directors may be held at any place within or without the State of Michigan.

2.6.5. A majority of the directors constitutes a quorum for the purposes of conducting business at any meeting of the Board of Directors.

2.6.6. A majority of the directors present, whether or not a quorum, may adjourn any meeting to another time and place. Notice of the adjourned meeting must be given even though the time and place are announced at the meeting at which the adjournment is taken.

2.6.7. Any action required or permitted to be taken pursuant to authorized vote at any meeting of the Board of Directors or a committee of the Board of Directors, maybe taken without a meeting if, before or after the action, all members of the Board of Directors or the committee consent to the action in writing. Written consent must be filed with the minutes of the proceeds of the Board of Directors or committee. Such consent will have the same effect as the vote of the Board of Directors or committee for all purposes.

2.6.8. A member of the Board of Directors or of a committee may participate in a meeting by means of conference telephone or similar communications equipment by which all persons participating in the meeting can hear each other. Participation in a meeting pursuant to this Section constitutes presence in person at the meeting.

2.6.9. The rules of parliamentary practice is enumerated in Robe1i’s Rules of Order, as amended, shall govern the proceedings of the Peter Dougherty Society, unless in conflict with these Bylaws, Articles or the Michigan Non-Profit Corporation Act, or any provision of the Internal Revenue Code authorizing non-profit corporations, specifically IRC 501(c)(3).

2.7. Notice of Meetings.

2.7.1. Written notice must be given to the directors at least two but not more than 60 days prior to all regular meetings of the Board of Directors. Special meetings of the Board of Directors will be held pursuant to notice of the time, place and purpose of the meeting either delivered personally, communicated by telephone, or sent by e-mail or mail to each director not less than 24 hours prior to the meeting, and if by telephone, confirmed in writing.

2.7.2. Notwithstanding the foregoing, no notice need be given to any director who submits a signed waiver of notice before or after a meeting, or who attends a meeting without protesting any lack of notice.

2.8. Resignation. A director may resign by giving written notice to the Secretary of the Corporation. Unless otherwise specified in the resignation, the resignation will take effect on receipt, and the acceptance of the resignation will not be necessary to make it effective.

2.9. Voting. The vote of a majo1ity of the directors present at a meeting at which a quorum is present will be the act of the Board of Directors unless a greater vote is required by law, by the Articles of Incorporation or by these bylaws. Except for honorary directors (who have no vote) each director present will have one vote. No director will be entitled to vote by proxy.

2.10. Compensation of Directors. The directors, as such, will not be compensated for the performance of services for the Corporation, but may, by resolution of the Board of Directors, be reimbursed for expenses incurred on behalf of the Corporation.

ARTICLE 3. Officers

3.1. Officers. The officers of the Corporation are a President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer, each of whom will be chosen from among the Directors, and who will be elected by the Board of Directors at each annual meeting. The Board of Directors may appoint other officers as it deems advisable, who need not be directors and who will have authority and will perform duties as may be prescribed by the Board. Any two or more offices may be held by the same person, but an officer may not execute, acknowledge or verify an instrument in more than one capacity. In addition to the powers set forth in these bylaws, the officers will have such authority and will perform such duties as may be determined by the Board of Directors.

3.2. Term of Office and Vacancy. Each officer will serve for a term of one year or until the officer’s successor is elected. Any officer may serve consecutive terms. A vacancy in any office will

be filled by vote of the Board of Directors. A person elected to fill a vacancy will serve for the balance of the unexpired term.

3.3. Removal. Any officer may be removed at any time, with or without cause, by the vote of a majority of the Board of Directors.

3.4. Duties of Officers. The duties of all officers will be as set forth in these bylaws and as specifically established by the Board of Directors from time to time.

3.4.1. President. The President presides at all meetings of the Board of Directors, acts as the chief executive officer of the Corporation, and, subject to the direction of the Board of Directors, has general powers of supervision and management of the affairs of the Corporation. The President will appoint, with the approval of the Board of Directors, the chairperson and members of all committees, and will be an ex-officio member of all committees. The President shall also be responsible to appoint a chairperson for any ad hoc committee, with the advice and consent of the Board of Directors and shall serve as ex-officio member to all committees unless those responsibilities are delegated by the President to another member of the Board of Directors. The President shall prepare, in consultation with the Secretary, a written agenda for each Board of Directors and advisory committee meeting. The President shall also provide to the Peninsula Township Board of Trustees an annual report concerning the budget and finances of the Peter Dougherty Society which corresponds to the fiscal calendar utilized by Peninsula Township.

3.4.2. Vice President. The Vice President shall chair the Board of Directors’ meeting in the absence of the President. The Vice President will also chair the fundraising activities of the Peter Dougherty Society.

3.4.3. Secretary. The Secretary will cause a record to be kept in permanent form of all meetings of the Board of Directors and will send out notices of all membership and Board of Director meetings.

3.4.4. Treasurer. The Treasurer will have general charge of the finances of the Corporation. When necessary and proper, he or she will endorse, on behalf of the Corporation, all checks, drafts, notes, and other obligations and evidences of the payment of money to the corporation or coming into his or her possession; will deposit the same, together with all other funds of the Corporation coming into his or her possession, in such bank(s) as may be selected by the Board of Directors. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Treasurer shall obtain the co-signature of one Board Member on all Peter Dougherty Society checks. He or she will keep full and accurate account of all receipts and disbursements of the Corporation in books belonging to the Corporation, which will be open at all times to the inspection of the Board of Directors. He or she will present to the Board of Directors at its annual meeting a report as Treasurer and will, from time to time, make such other reports to the Board of Directors as it may require. The Treasurer shall serve as a member of the fundraising committee of the Peter Dougherty Society. The Treasurer shall also provide the Peninsula Township

Board of Trustees an annual financial report together with the President which corresponds to the fiscal year utilized by Peninsula Township.

3.5. Compensation. The compensation of all agents, employees, officers, and representatives of the Corporation will be fixed by the Board of Directors or in accordance with the method of determination which is established by it.

ARTICLE 4. Committees

4.1. Appointment of Committees. The Board of Directors may designate one or more committees, each of which will consist of at least one committee chairperson and one or more committee members. The chairperson and members of the committee will be appointed by the Board of Directors. Each committee may exercise all powers and authority delegated to it in the Board resolution establishing the committee, except as restricted by applicable law.

4.2. Reports of Committees. The studies, findings, and recommendations of all committees will be reported to the Board of Directors for consideration and action, except as otherwise ordered by the Board of Directors. Committees may adopt such rules for the conduct of business as are appropriate and as are not inconsistent with these bylaws, the Articles of Incorporation, or state law.

4.3. Types of Committees.

4.3.1. Finance Committee. A finance committee shall be appointed consisting of a minimum of five (5) members, four of whom shall be members of the Peter Dougherty Society and one of whom shall be the Treasurer of the Peter Dougherty Society. The finance committee shall be responsible to propose methods of obtaining income to finance the Society’s operations, shall propose a budget for each fiscal year, and shall be responsible for providing Peninsula Township with an annual financial report which corresponds to the fiscal year utilized by Peninsula Township.

4.3.2. Publicity Committee. A publicity committee may be appointed by the Board of Directors, which shall have the responsibility the publicity of the Peter Dougherty Society, to communicate to the community the activities and needs of the Peter Dougherty Society via press releases or media the committee deems appropriate.

4.3.3. Contents and Curatorial Committee. This committee’s responsibility shall include the duty to catalog and photograph all contents of the Dougherty Home, to ensure that while the home is being restored, items are properly stored and preserved, to recommend acquisition of exhibit materials, procedures for disposing of surplus exhibits or materials, and to cause the acquisition and disposal of exhibit materials when authorized.

4.3.4. Educational Committee. The education committee shall be responsible to plan educational activities, arrange materials to illustrate its activities, and to train volunteers to serve as guides or docents.

4.3.5. Building Committee. A building committee shall be organized whose responsibilities will include to provide structural analysis of the Doughe1iy Home to develop a schematic plan to restore the Dougherty Home, to identify skilled artisans which can provide guidance to and lead volunteers in the restoration of the Dougherty Home, and to train volunteers to maximize the effectiveness of specific restoration tasks.

ARTICLE 5. Indemnification of Directors, Officers and Employees

5.1. Actions in the Best Interest of the Corporation. The Corporation has the power to indemnify any person who was or is a party or is threatened to be made a party to any threatened, pending or completed action, suit or proceeding, whether civil, criminal, administrative or investigative (other than an action by or in the right of the Corporation) by reason of the fact that he or she is or was a director, officer, employee or agent of the Corporation or is or was serving at the request of the Corporation as a director, officer, partner, trustee, employee or agent of another foundation, corporation, business corporation, partnership, joint venture, trust or other enterprise, whether for profit or not, against expenses (including attorneys’ fees), judgments, penalties, fines and amounts paid in settlement actually and reasonably incurred by him or her in connection with such action, suit or proceeding if he or she acted in good faith and in a mam1er he or she reasonably believed to be in or not opposed to the best interests of the Corporation and, with respect to any criminal action or proceeding, had no reasonable cause to believe his or her conduct was unlawful. The termination of any action, suit or proceeding by judgment, order, settlement, conviction or on a plea of nolo contendere or its equivalent, will not of itself create a presumption that the person did not act in good faith and in a manner which he or she reasonably believed to be in or not opposed to the best interest of the Corporation and, with respect to any criminal action or proceeding, had reasonable cause to believe that his or her conduct was unlawful.

5.2. Actions by or in Right of the Corporation. The Corporation has the power to indemnify any person who was or is a party or is threatened to be made a party to any threatened, pending or completed action or suit by or in the right of the Corporation to procure a judgment in its favor by reason of the fact that he or she is or was a director, officer, employee or agent of the Corporation or is or was serving at the request of the Corporation as a director, officer, partner, trustee, employee, or agent of another foundation, corporation, business corporation, partnership, joint venture, trust or other enterprise, whether for profit or not, against expenses (including attorneys’ fees) and amounts paid in settlement actually and reasonably incurred by him or her in connection with the defense or settlement of such action or suit if he or she acted in good faith and in a manner he or she reasonably believed to be in or not opposed to the best interests of the Corporation, except that no indemnification will be made in respect of any claim, issue or matter as to which the person is adjudged to be liable to the Corporation except to the extent that the Court in which the action or suit was brought, or another court of competent jurisdiction, detern1ines on application that indemnification is consistent with applicable law and any restrictions which may be contained in the Corporation’s Articles of Incorporation or these Bylaws and that, despite the adjudication of liability and in view of all relevant circumstances, he or she is fairly and reasonably entitled to

indemnification for reasonable expenses incurred which the Court deems proper, whether or not he or she has met the applicable standard of conduct set forth in this Section 5.2.

5.3. Expenses. To the extent that a director, officer, employee or agent of the Corporation has been successful on the merits or otherwise in defense of any action, suit or proceeding referred to in Sections 5.1 and 5.2 or in defense of any claim, issue or matter, he or she will be indemnified against expenses (including attorneys’ fees) actually and reasonably incurred by him or her.

5.4. Determination of indemnification. Any indemnification under Sections 5.1 and 5.2 (unless ordered by a court) will be made by the Corporation only as authorized in the specific case on a determination that indemnification of the director, officer, employee or agent is proper in the circumstances because he or she has met the applicable standard of conduct set forth in Section 5.1 or 5.2 and on an evaluation of the reasonableness of expenses and amounts paid in settlement. This determination will be made (i) by the Board of Directors by a majority vote of a quorum (as defined in Section 2.6.5 of these Bylaws) consisting of directors who are not parties to such action, suit or proceeding; (ii) if such quorum is not obtainable, by a majority vote of a committee duly designated by the Board (in which designation all Board members may participate) and consisting solely of two or more directors not at the time parties or threatened to be made parties to the action; or (iii) by independent legal com1sel, in a written opinion, selected by the Board or its committee in the manner described in the foregoing clauses (i) or (ii) or, if a quorum under clause (i) cannot be obtained and a committee under clause (ii) cannot be designated, by the Board (in which action all Board members may participate). Notwithstanding the failure or refusal of the directors or com1sel to make provision for indemnification, the indemnification will be made if a court of competent jurisdiction has made a determination that the director, officer, employee or agent has a right to indemnification under this agreement in any specific case on the application of the director, officer, employer or agent.

5.5. Advancement of Expenses. Expenses incurred in defending a civil or criminal action, suit or proceeding described in Section 5.1 or 5.2 may be paid by the Corporation in advance of the final disposition of the action, suit or proceeding as authorized by the Board of Directors in the specific case on: (i) receipt of a written affirmation from the person seeking advancement of expenses of his or her good-faith belief that he or she has met the standard of conduct set f01ih in Section 5.1 or 5.2;
(ii) receipt of an undertaking by or on behalf of the person to repay amounts advanced if it is ultimately determined that he or she did not meet such standard of conduct; and (iii) a determination that the facts then known to those making the determination would not preclude indemnification. This determination will be made in the manner specified in Section 5.4.

5.6. fusurance. The Corporation has the power to purchase and maintain insurance on behalf of any person who is or was a director, officer, employee or agent of the Corporation or is or was serving at the request of the Corporation as a director, officer, employee or agent of another foundation, corporation, partnership, joint venture, trust, or other enterprise, against any liability asserted against him or her or the Corporation and unclaimed by him or her or the Corporation in any such capacity, or arising out of his or her status as such, whether or not the Corporation would have the power to implement the provisions of this Article.

ARTICLE 6. Conflict of Interest

6.1. Statement of Policy. It is the policy of the Corporation that all officers, directors, committee members and employees of the Corporation must avoid any conflict between their own respective individual interests and the interests of the Corporation, in any and all actions taken by them on behalf of the Corporation in their respective capacities.

6.2. Dealing with the Corporation. A contract or other transaction between the Corporation and one or more of its directors or officers, or between the Corporation and a domestic or foreign corporation, or association of any type or kind in which one or more of the Corporation’s directors or officers are directors or officers, or are otherwise interested, will not, because of the interest, or because such directors are present at the meeting of the Board of Directors or committee of the Board of Directors at which the contract or transaction is acted on or because their votes are counted for such purpose, be enjoined, set aside or give rise to an award of damages or other sanctions in a proceeding by a shareholder or by or in the right of the corporation, if any of the following conditions is satisfied:

6.2.1. The contract or other transaction is fair and reasonable to the Corporation when it is authorized, approved or ratified; or

6.2.2. The material facts of the contract or transaction and the director’s or officer’s interest are disclosed or known to the Board of Directors or committee and the Board of Directors or c01mnittee authorizes, approves or ratifies the contract or transaction by a vote of a majority of the directors or the committee members who had no interest in the contract or transaction, even though less than a quorum.

6.3. Procedure in Event of Potential Conflict of Interest. In the event that any officer, director, committee member or employee of the Corporation has any direct or indirect interest in, or relationship with, any individual or organization which proposes to enter into any transaction with the Corporation, such officer, director, committee member or employee must give the Board of Directors notice of such interest or relationship and must refrain from voting or otherwise attempting to exert any influence on the Corporation, its Board of Directors, or its committees, to affect its decision to participate or not to participate in the transaction.

ARTICLE 7. Annual Audits and Fiscal Year

7.1. Annual Audits. There will be an annual audit of the financial statements of the Corporation by an independent certified public accountant selected by the Board of Directors.

7.2. Fiscal Year. The fiscal year of the Corporation will be determined from time to time by the Board of Directors.

ARTICLE 8. Nonliability of members

The corporation does not afford pecuniary gain, incidentally or otherwise, to its members. There may be no personal liability of members for corporate obligations.

ARTICLE 9. Amendment of bylaws

The bylaws may be amended at any regular or special meeting of the board at which two-thirds of the entire membership of the board at that time in office are present and voting therefor, provided at least 15 days written notice is given to each director of the time, place and object of the meeting. The bylaws may also be amended at any annual or special meeting of the members by a vote of a majority of the members present in person or by proxy.

The minutes of the calendar year 2018 are set forth below:

Board Meeting January 8, 2018
MINUTES

A) PRESENT: Dave Brammer, Bill Cole, Jim Hall, Chris Reiser, Nancy Warne ABSENT: Marty Klein, Rob Manigold, Ken Weaver

B) Additions/Deletions to Agenda

1. Some discussion preceding meeting re: winter appeal letters that did not reach recipients because they could not be forwarded (because of type of postage used).

2. Comments made at OMPHS meeting last week, Nancy. Put under long range goals.

C) Approval of November 13, 2017 minutes – Nancy. Minutes were approved as circulated.

D) Financial Report – Chris

1. Nov. 2017 Report (see attached report for details)
2. Dec. 2018 Report and year to date figures (see attached report for details)
Dec: Year to date
Income: Annual appeal $9744 + 400 $10,569
August fundraiser $ 6,090
Other donations $18,175
Misc income $ 1,150
Total income: $10,100 $35,984 + $400

Expenses: Annual fundraiser $1,340
Building expenses: $12,359 $115,697
Misc expenses: $1,471
Total expenses: $15,170 $136,665

Current checking acct balance TCS Bank $25,696
Current Matching checking acct $56,261
Escrow account balance: $0

Total project funds as of December 31, 2017: $81,956.

Because the escrow account had begun to charge a monthly finance charge, the remaining balance of $3940 was transferred into the Matching account. Jim Hall asked how these escrow funds, which is the Jeffris money, can be used. Bill wrote a letter to Tom Jeffris with a detailed list of how the funds were spent and asked if it was okay to transfer the remaining funds into the matching account. Tom responded that is was okay with him. Thus, these remaining funds can be used for anything, at our discretion and do not have to be spent on building expenses.

3. Winter appeal – update. Chris started a yearly comparison sheet of fundraiser income. 2017 donations netted slightly more than 2016.

4. Closing of Jeffris Grant Account (see above).
5. House project expenses:

Only 7 items remain on the current list to be completed: Floors (the Dougherty boys will prime the stairs and upstairs floors, but hire a painter to do the final coat of paint on all floors. $13,370 allocated for that, but won’t cost that much. Bill is going to check to see that the cracks between the boards are painted). Also under “Balance to Complete” are figures for Fire Suppression sys, light fixtures, wallpaper, fireplace cement board, room fireplaces, and deck paint. Total of balance to complete is $43,740. Budget is $53,565, leaving a difference of $9,825. Chris is considering preparing a new sheet of house Project expenses eliminating those items that are completed, leaving room for new items that evolve, such as display cases.

All of the Archer building expenses have been completed, the contract with him is finished. Jim Hall will draft a letter to Bill Archer thanking him for his work.

There are some handicapped issues. Nancy asked if the upstairs had to be accessible to handicapped. NO! The downstairs is arranged for handicapped (wide doorways, bathroom, ramp into house.)

E) Old Business

1. Accomplishments for 2017 and Objectives for 2018 handed out by Bill. We have final approval for occupancy, which includes mechanical, electrical, plumbing approvals.

2. Long range planning for Dougherty House and Board
a. Long term maintenance. Not discussed.

b. Bill suggested we form a 3-5 member ad hoc committee to suggest to the Board the entire interior theme, what to use of the artifacts in storage, determine what items are time relevant (1840-1910), etc. We need antique and museum expertise on the committee. (The Quinn Evans report that has suggestions for all of the rooms does not have to be exactly followed, though there are some good ideas in there.) Some suggestions of people to contact for names of possible members were Gene Jenneman of Dennos Museum, Ted Ligibel-Eastern Michigan Historical Preservation, Sue Pocklington of Omena Olsen historical farm. Some committee members might include Sue Feiger, Questor member Marilyn ?. Nancy suggested Anne Griffiths.

c. Nancy reported that at last week’s OMPHS meeting, Anne Griffiths expressed her thought that it was time for the PDS to open up to others in the community for suggestions on how to display and use the house.

d. Bill suggested the “shed”, space behind summer kitchen, be cleaned out in the spring to put in some of the Dougherty/Rushmore farming implements.

e. We should build a “pole barn” storage shed in the area of the proposed parking lot, (where it would be out of sight of the road). Jim H. reported that Menards has sheds on sale. This would be placed on a cement floor and used primarily for storing the lawn mower, tools, extra lumber, etc. This may be completed this coming summer. Furnishings for house that will not be immediately used or sold can be stored in Big Jon’s indefinitely. (When the house is on display, room displays should be changed periodically. )

f. Bill also suggested we form a docent committee.

g. We can ask Dean Johnson to level the parking lot area, and area for shed.

h. Nancy Finegood is asking for an updated property overall master plan.

i. Bill suggested we offer a room to “summer associations”. such as Neahatawanta, Leffingwell, etc.

j. There was some discussion re: donations. There is a donation form that states that once an item has been donated, it belongs to the PDS to do with as is needed, including to using at all. Chris suggested a similar form that is more specific.

k. Jim Brammer asked about insurance. We thus far do not have insurance that covers contents of the house. Bill will check to see if township insurance covers that.

3. Heritage Parade – 2018– Jim Brammer and Nancy. Both Nancy and Jim spoke to Ellen Kerr and feel she is already too busy to work on this. Nancy announced at last week’s OMPHS meeting our thoughts on this. There was some interest. Even if we only had people marching with banners, it would be good publicity. Nancy was asked to pursue this topic.

4. Leaf removal completed

F) New Business, no new business.

G) Next meeting: February 12, 2018 10:00 a.m.

Board Meeting February 12, 2018
MINUTES

PRESENT: Jim Brammer, Bill Cole, Jim Hall, Chris Reiser, Nancy Warne, Ken Weaver

A) Additions/Deletions to Agenda. None.

B) Approval of January 8, 2018 minutes prepared by Nancy. Approved as amended.

C) Announcement. Marty Klein has resigned from the Board. He is still working on the house, however. Bill will write him a thank you letter.

D) Financial Report – Chris

1. January financial statement. Income for January $700. No Expenses. Total funds available $82,648. The following figures were set as the 2018 proposed budget (basically same as year 2017):

Income:
August Fundraiser: $6100
Donations ( unsolicited) $5000
Grants $0
Barn/Tanner Books $150
Wequetong Garage Sale $1000
TOTAL: $12,250

Expenses:
Annual Fundraiser $2850
August Fund Raiser $2570
Phase 3 Bldg expenses $43,740
Website $100
Phone Tour $144
PO Box $40
Bank Fee $30
Postage $50
Insurance $1850
Federal Form 990 $2275
State Sales tax $200
State Mi Labor & Econo $20
Building supplies $3000
Maintenance, building $5000
Mis office $300

2) House Project expenses: Current project budget $53,565. Proposed balance to complete total $43,740, includes final painting of floors, fire suppression sys, light fixtures, wallpaper, fireplace cement board, room fireplaces, deck stain. Leaves $9825.

E) Old Business

1) Dougherty House Update – Jim H., Chris

a. All doors have been fitted and erected. (When the house was raised and squared, the doors didn’t fit perfectly and had to be shaved to fit.)
b. work continues on the kitchen wall cupboard. Doors have been removed and back walls cleaned up. The back walls will be either painted or wallpapered (old wallpaper was removed). Shades of blue are being considered with Anita Klein’s input for cupboard exterior and sink cupboard. The wall cupboard doors might be replaced with glass doors for display purposed.
c. Some of the light fixtures have been installed.
d. The floors will be finished after winter.
e. Coat hooks need to be reinstalled.
f. A few door hinges and latches are needed.

2) Long range planning for Dougherty House and Board

a) Need to increase board membership. Need some younger people.

b) Possible change in meeting time. If younger people, then may need to change meeting time if they are working.

c) Docents. Ellen Kerr and Ann Swayne told Bill they would like to be docents. Board considered having docents start in the spring or summer while the guys are working to greet visitors who stop by. The Audio Tour and other display systems could be utilized for early visitors this summer.

d) Bill handed out a proposed site plan that shows proposed parking lot, electric lines, and trails. A “barn” or shed is needed to store mower and other tools. Nancy Finegood said no to erecting a new ready made shed or a new barn. When Bill was talking to Dean Johnson, Dean suggested an “old barn”. Dean knows of 2 old barns on Martha Jamieson’s property that would be available to move and re-erect. It could be built on our old barn foundation. Dimensions are needed. Currently the barn foundation is under snow. Nancy W reported that the foundation indicates a large barn. Bill received a new shot of the house that includes a good image of part of the original barn. Date of picture is unknown. (Shows enlarged porch and a hammock between 2 trees. Other shot of house with barn with man and dog in front of small porch has been assumed to be around 1900. One of the two tree is considerably smaller.) Pictures are attached to minutes.

e) Parking lot location was discussed. According to the above site plan, it is an extension of the current road into the property and should be moved north off the trail. Ken mentioned that the parking lot needs to be large enough for a bus to turn around. Bathroom facilities were discussed. Nancy asked if a “port-a-potty” could be included near the parking lot. Bill said a permanent one would not be approved, but perhaps could have one erected for spring-summer-fall seasons. That would cost money per month. Otherwise the one bathroom in the house might not be sufficient for large group visits.

f) Jim Brammer asked about using a drone to take over head footage for advertising purposes. Would a TV station do It? Who has a private drone?

F) New Business

1) Key 2018 dates

a) Spring Clean-up: May 12 or May 19 (weather?)

b) Log Cabin Day: June 24, 2018. Probably will have some artifacts on display by then. Need to get some publicity.

c) Summer Fund raiser: August 4, 2018. Bowers Harbor or house? Bowers Harbor provides outdoor coverage in case of bad weather.

2) MHP Network – Possible workshop(s) in Traverse City Area. Ellen Thackery. These workshops are about restoration. Bill told her we would be happy to be involved. Our restoration of window’s process would make a good demonstration.

3) Historical Award – 2019. Mary Anne _______ and Ted Ligabel of Mi Historical Society would like to give PD homesite a yearly historical award. This might take place in 2019.

4) Nancy asked re: the Interior Ad Hoc Committee. She volunteered to serve on it to help unpack and move. Bill said okay.

5) Jim B. asked about joint issues for the various historical sites. The park Commission makes decisions over everything except the Dougherty house.

6) State highway conference in August. This involves sites on Center Road and would not include the Dougherty house.

7) No discussion re: parade. Apparently no real interest in doing this year.

G) Scheduled Meeting: March 12, 2018 at 10:00 am. There is no real need for a meeting at this time, so it was cancelled. Next meeting April 9.

Board Meeting April 9, 2018
MINUTES

PRESENT: Jim Brammer, Bill Cole, Jim Hall, Chris Reiser, Ken Weaver
EXCUSED: Nancy Warne, Rob Manigold
A. Additions to the Agenda
1. Fire Suppression System, Ken Weaver
B. Announcements
1. Nancy Warne is taking a leave of absence for the next few months
2. We have not received any additional information from the MHP Network regarding a series of workshops targeting older homes
C. We did not meet in March, 2018. Hence no minutes for March1.
The Minutes for February 12, 2018 approved.
D. Financial Report: Chris reported that as of March 31, 2018, PDS had the following balances in the Traverse City State Bank.
1. Regular Checking: $26,831
2. Match Grant Checking: $53.565
3. Interest from Jeffris Grant $2,696
E. Old Business
1. Chris and Jim Hall provided an update on work at the Dougherty House. The upstairs floors have been cleaned. In two areas it was necessary to replace floor boards. The upper doors on the cabinet in the kitchen have been removed and are being rebuilt so that they will have a glass face. We can then use the cabinet for displaying small artifacts. The shelves in the two closets have been installed and the wall hangers in the bedrooms have reinstalled and painted.
2. Dates
a. Spring Clean-up will be May 19, 2018
b. Log Cabin Day is June 24, 2018. We will open the Dougherty House, hopefully have 2-4 vendors and will have ice cream Sundays available as well as cookies and water
c. Annual Summer Fundraiser was discussed whether or not to it in 2018. There seemed to be little interest and hence we will not have one this summer. Perhaps an event at the house can take its place.
F. New Business
1. Long range planning was discussed at some length. The Board expressed the need for additional Board members to fill particular roles. Current board members will seek names of potential people who could fill the roles listed below.
a. Docent programs chair
b. Interior committee chair
c. Museum operations chair
2. Chris presented the Board with suggested forms for receiving donations of items to the Dougherty House as well as receiving items on loan. Discussion on the form which Chris had presented and was concluded with Ken Weaver suggesting the forms would not hold legally. He volunteered to provide a draft for receiving donations as well as items that would be loaned to the Dougherty House.
3. Fire Suppression System was added to the agenda. Discussion was held and while everyone thought it was a good idea, some board members wanted to wait until the house restoration was completed. There was a motion and seconded to install the fire suppression system. A vote was taken with Cole voting against and Weaver voting for it. The other three directors abstained. The motion to install the suppression system was defeated.

Next Meeting: May 14, 2018 at 10:00 a.m.


Board Meeting May 14, 2018

MINUTES

PRESENT: Jim Brammer, Bill Cole, Jim Hall, Ken Weaver
EXCUSED: Nancy Warne, Rob Manigold, Chris Rieser
VISITOR; Connie Sargent
A. Additions to the Agenda: none
B. The April meeting Minutes were approved
C. Connie Sargent was invited to the Board meeting to discuss the possibility of becoming a Board Member. Connie has a rich involvement on the Peninsula and been actively in historical activities. Her grandmother, in fact, donated the land on which the replica church now sits. The board discussed with Connie that we would like to have her head up the docents program for the Dougherty House. Mainly this will involve forming a list and organizing times. There are still many questions to be answered; such as, when will the house be opened and what will be the hours. Hopefully, Connie will become a board member as she will be a valuable addition.
D. Financial Report: Bill gave the report in Chris’s absence. Peter Dougherty Society has the following balances in the Traverse City State Bank as follows:
1. Regular Checking: $26,308
2. Match Grant Checking: $53.758
3. Interest from Jeffris Grant $2,696
Bill said that a decision had been made to not hold the summer fundraiser.

E. Old Business
1. Jim Hall provided an update on work at the Dougherty House. He reported that all floors, except kitchen, had been painted and the 4 doors to the kitchen cabinet have been rebuilt, paint and antique glass has been obtained. The cabinet still needs to be painted as well as the floor.
2. Spring Clean Up and Log Cabin Day dates were stated
3. The search for new Board members continues. We need to keep in mind that we may have to change our meeting time.
4. In Chris’s absence, the Donation and Loan Forms discussion was postponed.
F. New Business
1. Bill discussed the need for a new site plan for the MHP Network. He will contact R. Clark Associates, Inc. and discuss a revision.
Next Meeting: June 11, 2018 at 10:00 a.m.

Board Meeting June 11, 2018
MINUTES

PRESENT: Jim Brammer, Bill Cole, Jim Hall, Chris Rieser, Connie Sargent, Nancy Warne
ABSENT: Ken Weaver, Rob Manigold

A) Additions/Deletions to Agenda

1. Nancy: garden issues (put under D.1. Dougherty house issues)

B) Announcement: Connie Sargent has consented to join the Board and to work with the Docent program. This is a great addition to the Board and welcome Connie, who is here today.

C) Financial Report – Chris

1. Financial Statement through May 2018:

a. Income: Large donations of $2000 (yearly donator), and $1500 Marin Community Foundation, friend of Bill’s.

b. Expenses: $1059 – $967 building expenses (Painting floor)

c. Current status:
Checking: $29,938
Matching balance: $55,054
Total Funds: $84,992

2. House Project Expenses. Balance to complete $31,370, Budget $52,358, Remaining $20,988. (see attached sheet for details. Figures can change.) Bill is in process of painting kitchen floor, which will finish all floor painting. Cost of fireplaces for upstairs bedrooms should be less than projected.

Jim Brammer asked about acknowledgement of donators. There is a record of lifetime donations. Also, there will be an honor roll donation board.

D) Old Business

1) Dougherty House Update

a) MHP Network – June 6, 2018. Nancy Finegood and Amanda Reintjes came to inspect progress of house. Everything was okay. Bill talked to her about our need for a storage shed. Only a “temporary” shed can be erected (not attached to the ground.) She said no to a garage, but she did not say no to erecting a barn on the stone foundation already there. There are a couple of old barns available to move to our site as we did the ice house. The crew will measure foundation and proceed.

b) Herbal Renewal Club – Held a workshop meeting from 9:00 a.m to noon on June 6 in the house. This was the first non- Dougherty group to use the house. This group will put flowers in the front yard beds under the sign and around the stone monument. Nancy Finegood indicated they should be historically correct flowers.

c) Site Plan. MHS (Nancy Finegood) wants a new site plan drawn up. Bill will ask R. Clark and Associates, who did the first one, to redo it. The trails, shape of parking lot, for example, need to be corrected.

d) Jim Hall reported that the NEW riding mower had been leaking oil. It has been repaired. We should find someone to do the mowing long term besides Butch Moring. Dan Dyer (lives down the street) is a possibility. He has his own equipment. Bill wants to clean up the space between the driveways so it can be mowed. This includes raking and removing stumps. Nate McManus might be contacted to grind stumps when clean-up is completed.

e) Nancy reported on the garden. The vegetable garden will include corn, pole beans, squash, and potatoes. She is planting perennials under the kiosk. She asked if the water is working (it is) and sprinklers are available. There is no longer an outside stored key available to the house and summer kitchen. Bill will get her a key to the house. She has permission to put a pot of geraniums on the front porch. Bill has been repeatedly spraying the garlic mustard.

2) Log Cabin Day – The Dougherty House will be open from 11:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Board members are encouraged to help answer questions and show people through the buildings. Nancy does not want to display bottles (a few perhaps.) There will be furniture in the house (see below). Kitchen cupboard is ready with glass doors, painted, for display items.

3) Donation and Loan Forms – Chris and Ken. Discussion delayed until Ken is here.

E) New Business

1) Bill reported that Bonnie Forsythe is selling her house at base of peninsula containing antiques, and Sue Feiger has looked at it and chosen some items. Bill and Brad Lyman will pick them up.

2) Interior committee report – Sue Feiger, Marilyn Flaherty, Ann Swaney, and Nancy Warne. Nancy handed out a list to Board of items to keep that are currently in Big Jon’s (mostly large furniture). The committee is going through items stored in the Haserot garage, deciding what to keep and what to sell. Nancy handed out a list of items so far found. The kept items are being boxed and will be brought to the DH. (There is a copious amount of stuff). The Interior committee hopes to have some interior displays ready for Log Cabin day. Some of the furniture has already been put in the house by crew (desk, dressers). Anita Klein purchased a table and 7 chairs that are in the dining room. Has several leaves but they are a different style. A decision has to be made as whether to keep this.

3) Ann Swayne (Archivist of OMPHS) has been approached by someone who has 8mm films taken in 1930’s of area. This person will bring them to Old Mission when she visits. We are hoping there may be some pictures of the PDH.

4) Bill reported that the Questors have postponed their annual garage sale to autumn. He suggested we have the sale at the Dougherty House.

5) The revised minutes of May meeting were approved.

6) Connie asked about talking to other historical sites regarding using docents. She also mentioned that Hannah Matthews might like to join the board. She will find out about Hannah’s expertise.

7) Jim Brammer shared a 9/10 news story about Native American Heritage Projects that he looked into and found it was the wrong tribe. He says we need to be very politically correct in dealing with the tribe. There was a discussion about getting a good contact with the local tribe to help with our Native American displays, etc. (We’ve done this in the past without success) Chris reported that his wife, Karen, is working with someone from Canada who is teaching the native language to the local tribe (who no longer uses their language). Karen might be able to find us a good contact.

8) Connie asked how many people attended last year’s open house on Log Cabin Day. (about 200 according to last year’s minutes).

9) Connie was thanked for the treats she provided (blueberry coffee cake).

Next Meeting: July 9, 2
018 at 10:00 am

Respectfully submitted, Nancy Warne.

Board Meeting July 9, 2018

PETER DOUGHERTY SOCIETY
Board Meeting July 9, 2018
MINUTES

Present: Jim Brammer, Bill Cole, Jim Hall, Chris Rieser, Connie Sargent, Nancy Warne, Ken Weaver

Absent: Rob Manigold

A. Additions/Deletions to Agenda (Connie report on docent research)

MINUTES for June 11 meeting were approved.

B. Financial Report – Chris (see attached sheets for details)

Income for June: $305 (donations from Log Cabin Day)
Expenses for June: $123
Checking: $29,678
Matching: $55,054
Total Funds: $84,732

House Project Expenses has not changed from last month.

C. Old Business
1. Review of Log Cabin Day. Log Cabin day was a big success. Visitors (around 200) enjoyed seeing the partially furnished rooms and the upstairs (no furniture up there yet.) There were many positive comments. About $325 was donated.

a. Dougherty House Update – Bill purchased eave trough materials for the small western porch off the dining room, for $1147.

b. Interior Committee report – Nancy shared a copy of Susan Fieger’s Committee report, which is attached to the minutes. Susan reviewed Log cabin day, some donations of furniture (Tim Crampton and Bonnie Forsythe and a maple rope bed from Susan, herself), progress on unpacking boxes of artifacts.

Nancy will ask Susan to schedule a meeting of the committee at house as soon as possible to review room usage, etc, before unpacking of boxes continues at Haserot garage and Big Jon’s.

Connie suggested we have a video room for viewing of videos (of ice house, out house, etc). Discussed. Possible placement of screens throughout the house was discussed for viewing videos.

The traffic flow was discussed. Bill suggested scheduled tours to avoid having visitors just wandering around. Some discussion of “roping” off parts of rooms to protect smaller artifacts. No conclusions.

Jim Brammer suggested having a kind of “feedback booth” similar to Antique Roadshow for visitors.

Nancy shared that she had visited the recent Native American Pow Wow at the Cherry Festival. She bought some cards and met a local Native American artist who might be interested in helping with a Native American display room. Minnie Wabanimkee, who lives in Suttons Bay, and has worked in a couple of museums. 231-866-1240. Bill suggested that we might just incorporate the display with the Dougherty room.

2. Site Plan. Before we can proceed with outside projects (i.e. barn and parking lot), we need a current site plan approved by MHPS. Bill is communicating with the firm who did the original site plan.

3. Donation and Loan Forms – Chris and Ken. Ken feels the forms are not ready to be used. They will be worked on some more.

D. New Business

1. Quester Garage Sale – 2018, Fall. They are excited about having the sale at the PD house. Date not set, but in fall.

a. Furniture Restoration. Bill took black tufted couch and matching chair (from Big Jon’s) to a wood worker for repair on framework. Then they will go to an upholsterer. Restorers were suggested by Marilyn Flaherty.

2. Boy Scout Eagle Project by Griffin Wright – Bill, Chris. Bill discussed this project for 7 signs for the upper trail to be made and installed by Griffin Wright. Cost estimate is $500, which seems high. Bill will report back to Griffin that we would be interested at $250 (which would mean some donating of materials would have to be sought.) Also, Board would need to approve drawings of signs and final product before installing. (See attached proposal for details.)

3. Possibility of 12’ by 18’ storage barn – Bill viewed this barn at property of Martha Jamieson. (13921 Bluff Road). It is in good shape, though needs new roof and other minor repairs. Dean Johnson said he thought he could put it on a flat bed and take it directly to the house and set on the foundation intact. Chris drew up a foundation drawing showing the current foundation of the barn. This storage barn could be placed partially on the cement foundation at the front. It would be used to store the lawn mower and other items. We still have the option of putting up a “temporary” modern shed.

This can’t be done until the revised site plan is approved.

The crew will look at the barn tomorrow morning, Tuesday 9/10.

4. When to have dedication of Dougherty House

a. This fall or next spring. Discussed. There are still eleven needed minor repairs to house and painting of upstairs floor. [Ken suggested using Sikkems, sold at Norwood. They have a clear low gloss “paint.”] Question as to whether we need fireboard for the upstairs fireplace stoves. Nancy reported about a fellow from Log Cabin Day who said a downstairs stove’s pipe would run upstairs to heat a room. She had Butch Moring listen to the fellow, so Bill will ask Butch about it. (That would only cover one room). Connie expressed her thought that there was still so much to do with the furnishings that we might not be ready in the fall for the dedication. Nancy moved we do the dedication in the spring. Motion carried.

b. Discussion on whom to invite, what is our program, time, etc. Bill has a list of people who should be invited including Tom Jeffries, Beiderman, some top donors. Also some former board members.

5. Dave Wood will meet with Bill at house on Thursday a.m. re: lighting, placement of sconces, etc. Bill will invite Susan F. to attend.

6. Nancy is working on a possible window display for the library for August.

7. Connie’s report . Connie has done some research re: use of docents. She has contacted several local historical societies and museums regarding their docent programs.

She also spoke with Younkers (who is closing at the end of August) re: purchase of mannequins. (We have 2 dress forms from the house and some swim suit forms that Ann Swayne found.) These are needed to hold some of the clothing we have.

Connie is working on a volunteer interest form. (Her report is attached to the minutes)

Thank you to Connie for the coffee cake treats.

Next Meeting: August 13, 2018 at 10:00 am

Respectfully submitted, Nancy Warne

Board meeting August 13, 2018

Peter Dougherty Society
Board Meeting August 13, 2018
MINUTES

PRESENT: Jim Brammer, Bill Cole, Jim Hall, Chris Rieser, Connie Sargent
ABSENT: Ken Weaver, Rob Manigold, Nancy Warne

A. Additions to Agenda
1. Connie – Docent letters and paintings by Bill Cook
2. Jim B. – 9-10 News Grant information and Floppy Swat Activity for Dougherty House
B. Approval of Nancy’s minutes for July 9, 2018 without objection
C. Financial Report – Chris reported the following balances ad of 7/31/18 in our two checking accounts.
Regular Checking: $27,493
Matching Grant: $50,202
Interest: $ 2,696
$80,391
D. Old Business
1. Chris and Jim reported on current progress at the Dougherty House. Insulation of all exterior doors has been completed. The steps going upstairs have received one coat of stain. Two register boxes were built by Jim Hall and installed on first floor ceiling. Restoration of the interior of the Dougherty House is nearing completion.
2. In Nancy’s absence a brief Interior Committee report was made by Bill. He reported the Interior team led by Susan Feiger and Nancy Warne have been extremely busy with a team of workers cleaning the artifacts and deciding which item might go into the house or be placed in the garage sale. Several Questers have also volunteered.
3. Bill has an appointment with Jennifer Hodges, PE Gourdie-Fraser Co. to discuss the site conceptual plan.
4. The Questers/Dougherty Garage Sale will be September 7 and 8 at the Dougherty House.
5. Gutter helmets have been installed on the porch off the dining room and the north side of the sk/cs and the kitchen
6. Bill discussed a possible “storage barn” from a company in the Farwell area. He will obtain needed information.
E. New Business
1. Connie reported that two coffee sessions for interested ladies have been held at the Dougherty House on June 27 and July 24. Approximately 20 people were at each coffee. The next coffee will be August 22.
2. Connie purchased two manikins at the Yonkers closing-out sale for $82.68. The Board voted to reimburse Connie for the purchases. They will be used to show clothing wear at the Dougherty House.
3. Bill has approached Dan and Jeff Dyer about lawn mowing in 2019. They are interested and will meet to discuss cost.
4. Connie discussed Docent developments that she has made. She is doing a great job of obtaining needed information for our Docent program.
5. Connie shared water color paintings by Bill Cook illustrating various Old Mission sites one of which was the Dougherty House.
6. Jim B. discussed the 9-10 News grant information regarding the Native American project. It is too late this year to take any action.
7. Jim B. also discussed his interest in having a Floppy Swat game on the Dougherty Property. Interest was shown but no action was taken.

Peter Dougherty Society
Board Meeting September 10, 2018
MINUTES

PRESENT: Jim Brammer, Bill Cole, Jim Hall, Chris Rieser, Nancy Warne, Ken Weaver
ABSENT: Rob Manigold, Connie Sargent

A. Additions/Deletions to Agenda.

1. Honor plaque
2. Winter fundraiser

B. Approval of August 13, 2018 Minutes. Approved as prepared by Bill Cole.

C. Financial Report – Chris
1. State Non-Corporate Annual Report filed
2. State yearly request for solicitation license sent in
3. 990 Authentication filled (IRS annually)
4. Financial report for August.
Income for August $334 (includes $200 deposit on coffee grinder)
Expenses: $1,100 (building and furniture restoration)
Total Funds on Hand: $76,705
5. House project expenses total $31,070. Does not include storage shed. (Possibly in $8000 range) and possible barn (cost unknown).

D. Old Business

1. Questers/Dougherty Garage, Friday and Saturday, September 7 and 8.
Bill expressed gratitude to Sue Fieger and Nancy Warne for their hard work.
Friday sales totaled $3649. Saturday sales, $1850. Two credit charges to Sue’s account $225.
With other incoming funds, total income for both days grosses at $6396. There are a few expenses.
It was agreed this sale was a huge success.

There were several items donated by the Questors, who collected the money and helped set up the displays, etc. All of the money will go to Dougherty Society. There was very little not sold. Some of the left overs will go to Goodwill, and some will be kept by PDS. There was much discussion about various sales, etc.

2. Next step(s) for artifacts. Bill stated there are 3 options for remaining artifacts (some at Big Jon’s and Hasarot garage, and some in boxes in house). (Goal would be to have house prepared for grand opening in May or June, 2019.)

a. sell
b. keep and put in house now
c. keep to use at a later date

3. Chair and couch upholstery update. Reframing has been completed. Sue and Marilyn will choose new cloth for upholsterer.

4. Site plan – Bill distributed a new Site Plan prepared by GFA. Plan was studied and discussed closely. A couple of changes are needed. The plan includes revised parking lot location (the parking lot allows for buses to turn around), locations for proposed temporary storage facility, possible education center with restrooms, and existing barn foundation. Also included are tree lines and bench locations. Trails include Heritage trail (current hiking trail) and barrier free trail (for handicapped).

E. New Business

1. Bill sent a letter to Nancy Finegood of MHPS (who retires in November). (Ken asked if a copy of the letter could be sent to board members). The letter included requests and information regarding:

a. a “temporary” storage barn
b. Location, size, and shape of parking area
c. possible purchase and rebuilding of old barn and barn foundation.

Temporary storage shed: a suggested example of a storage barn is one owned by Jerry and Marie across from American Legion in O.M. It is 14×28, has 3 windows, two large doors, steps into a loft, plywood in roofing, work bench, 3/4” plywood flooring, gable window. Cost about $8200. Shed was built, delivered and setup by McBain Mid Michigan Barn Co. They would build according to our needs. Goal would be to have installed before winter this year. Shed is needed for storage of our mowers, etc.

Parking lot: Dean Johnson will level, shape, spread “gravel” for the lot at no cost (except of stone). Ken suggested that crushed rock would be better than gravel. Blue Star has various grades of gravel and crushed rock. This project could be completed before winter, if approved by Nancy F.

Barn: There is an old barn on Peninsula Drive near Nelson Road that is in good shape, size about 30×50. It’s larger size would allow for use of the best of the siding, etc. in making smaller for our foundation. Cost of purchase is unknown but the owner wants to get rid of it. It does contain some good quality beams, etc. Once Bill knows if Nancy F. will approve the project, Bill will talk to the owner re: price, etc. Bill projected that it could take up to 4 years to have re-erected on our property. Would have to be done by professionals. Bill mentioned Steve Steiger as a possible person for the restoration.

2. Antique stoves with heating elements. Three or four should be purchased for rooms upstairs. Stoves would help heat rooms. (The upstairs is heated only by heat coming up through floor registers from downstairs.) House is well insulated.

3. Honor plaque listing donors. Jim Hall says we should get started with this project and include donors through 2018. Five categories have been set up. Highest is $100,000 and over. Firm in TC, Image 360, ad agency, does a nice job with these.

4. Winter fund raiser. General consensus is that we should have a winter fund raiser this year. Jim Hall will draft a letter. Discussion regarding whether or not to mention specific projects (such as storage shed), or make it a more general request for funds. Winter fundraisers in past have brought in from $6000-$9000.

5. Nancy spoke about ledgers found in house that were used by Virginia Larson for “tours” of house as a museum in years 1961-1961. The visitors signed the books and include many local residents. (earlier pages had been cut out of ledgers). List of names is interesting. A local resident remembers the house open as a museum when he was 8.

Attachments to the September 10 minutes: